
YUMMY!! My family makes these Norwegian cookies every Christmas season, and I honestly cannot remember a year without them. "Back in the day" my dad would make them over the stove top with an iron that you had to flip over half way through cooking, then my mom stumbled upon these awesome electric irons that make two cookies at once and bought my sisters and I our own irons. I think I'm the only one to use mine, every year since I got it.
Here's a close up of the detail in my iron, it's not as fancy as my parent's stove top one, I dont have access to that to take a picture of it, but the engraving inside of theirs is so ornate compared to mine. But traditionally they have hearts and flowers and leaves in the designs. And way back when, before electricity, these were made over open flame. I think I'll stick to my electric model though...LOL.

Oh and if you're feeling adventurous and own one of these, give my favorite recipe a try!!
Norwegian Krumkake
3 Eggs
1/2 C. Heavy Cream
1/2 C. Melted Butter
1 C. Sugar
1 1/2 C. Flour
1 tsp. real vanilla
Mix all ingredients until smooth, and spoon 1 TBSP. of the batter onto each cookie design in your iron (depending on which type you are using). You'll most likely burn a few at first until you get the hang of the cooking time, my electric iron takes between 30-45 seconds for a light golden brown. You dont want these cookies to be too pale or they wont crisp when they cool. While they are still on the iron use a fork or small spatula to begin rolling the cookie around a cone shaped wooden form. Work quickly so the second cookie doesn't brown too far while you're rolling the first. I also recommend not removing the second cookie while you're rolling the first because they cool so quickly that it will crisp before you've rolled it and then it'll just break rather than form the nice trumpet shape. It's pretty easy to get into a groove when you make them though. And if you're working with a double iron like I am, I strongly recommend purchasing a second wooden form, I have to improvise with a similar sized wooden dowel for the time being.
And to add a finishing touch - American Style - try dipping one of the cookie (after it's completely cooled) into melted chocolate and then into chopped Almonds. YUMMY!








2 comments:
Yum! We haven't made Krumkake yet. But, we do make lefse every year. I love that stuff! :D
You're making me homesick for my grandmother's cooking! So rare to see someone post about such a thing. :) Love your idea at the end!
Post a Comment