Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Why so much PRESSURE?!

So here's what has been on my mind the last few days. I saw a comment a few days ago "I am so far behind I think I'm going to quit scrapbooking" and it just struck me as a silly thing to even think. Not silly in a "ha ha I made a joke" kinda way, but silly as in an oddity.

Here's why I dont get it. We scrapbookers have a tendency to think that we need to get all the milestones, all the memories, all the big events, everything in order...why? Is there some bizarre phenomenon occurring in our brains that tells us we have to start at the beginning and trudge through forever ten years behind the current events? I heard an interview with Stacy Julian and she worded it so well: "we slap a 2007 label on an album and are instantly behind"...

I for one am NOT a chronological scrapper, I try to put the pages into my album in order, but I dont scrap that way. I scrap what I want to scrap. Its fun that way.

I mean, we dont all walk around saying "I have three loads of dirty laundry in front of the washer I think I'm going to give up doing laundry" It's absurd. Even more absurd than giving up a hobby you love because you have the notion in your head that you have to get the toddler pictures in a book before you can move on to fresher memories, like last weeks' pajama party.

I'm not going to give up watching movies just because I still haven't watched Kill Bill even though it's sitting in my tv cabinet (been there for 8 months now...lol).

I guess my long rambling point here is that we are putting way too much pressure on ourselves for a so-called HOBBY. So what if you have a box of 500 photos you want in albums, I say grab the camera, take a picture right now, glue it on a page, journal a memory and put it in an album...

8 comments:

KristyAnn said...

Well put. You take all the fun out of this hobby when you think like that.

Christina Carnoy said...

I totally agree with you. I just scrapbook for fun. When I feel like it, etc.

Anonymous said...

Well this just made me want to stand up and cheer!! Thanks for the boost!!

joscelyne cutchens said...

I have long said this same thing when people say they are so behind. I'm like, so? are you enjoying what you're working on, or are you just trying to get it done? if you are so concerned about simply housing those photos, buy an album, stick'em in sleeves.
I enjoy what I'm doing and that's why I do it.... but that's just me. :)

Elizabeth said...

I completely agree, you should do it because you love it. A hobby is suppose to be a stress reliever not a stress inducer. This is why I scrap what I want when I want. There is no order. Great Post!!

AFScrapperMom said...

Bravo
Bravo
Bravo


I look at it like this, we can never be done with this hobby as there are always more pictures to take!

Samantha said...

I feel the same way! Scrapbooking is a hobby, not a necessity, and if you're "behind," then so be it. I still have tons and tons of pictures to scrap, and that's okay with me. I'll get to them when I feel inspired to scrap them, but for now, they'll stay in the photo album. Like you, I'm not a chronolgoical scrapper. I use what inspires me at the time and go with flow.

Aleta said...

I scrapbook for fun too! But I've been scrapping for quite some time... before I was married or had chidren, so *don't throw things* I'm caught up. I wish I was a little more behind, that way I would have pictures and stuff to pick from, instead of taking pictures to scrap! LOL!