It's not a new concept, everyone shops the chain stores and the little guy goes under. So the little guys do what they can to bring in the business, punch cards, sales, promotions. Still, nothing helps. I was saddened today by a comment a retailer made to me today.
No surprise I was shopping in a little locally owned scrapbook store, buying paper I didn't need for projects that will never be more than a few pages that will be tucked away in an album. However these projects are important to me and my family. Remembering the joy in life is important.
So when my favorite shop disappeared one day, I was more than sad. I had lost my "place". Sure there are two other little shops in town, but they aren't "my place." I was in one of those other shops today, and the owner was ringing up my sale. I casually asked her if she noticed an increase in business in light of the closing of the other store. She was very candid with me, they in fact had no increase in sales. It's been about a month since the first store closed up, and they have only heard a few people mention that they were loyal to the closed store. She also mentioned that it worries her. Her words "If we (scrapbookers) cannot support our two best shops in town, we are in trouble." She flat out told me that she has not taken a paycheck in 10 years, her store cannot afford to pay her. Let me repeat that: Her store cannot afford to pay her! That is what saddens me. She is devoting her time, energy and sacrificing herself for her passions for this industry, and for a community. And this community all too easily turns its' back on the little guy to get a deal at the chain stores.
Mind you I do shop the chain/discount craft stores. But I rarely find the quality I want, or the products I crave. When's the last time you walked into a Michaels or JoAnn's and actually found some fresh NEWLY released cosmo cricket or crate paper by the sheet? I fell victim to the cheap walmart holiday stack of paper this year, while the patterns are cute, it is flimsy and so thin it's nearly vellum...although it does have a home in my crafty corner of the world. And right next to that are the wonderful things I find at my local shops. I am not saying quit shopping the chain stores and keep the little guys in business, but I am asking that as scrapbookers, we at least consider the other side of the coin before we grumble about how expensive the little guys' products are.
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








5 comments:
Well said. I really like the part where they know your name, too.
Kelli, THANK YOU for those words! It is true those of us who have opened scrapbook stores are not doing it for the money we are doing it because it is our passion. My heart and soul is into my store. Since I know others can get their products from the big guys I stess customer service. I can honestly say most all of my customers become online friends also! I think those who like to be treated very well will still come to us small guys! I am adding tons of new lines to my store and so excited. Thanks for remembering us little ones!!!
Sad but true
I completely agree with you. While I do shop at Jo's and Mike's, I've found that lately I've completely exhausted their selection, and I'm bored. I would much rather hop on over to my LSS and shop there, or go on-line and grab my goodies on the net. It makes me very sad to hear that these small business are closing down.
I agree, and in the end we are ones who lose out, because we lose the LSS. When one of my favorites closed up a couple of months ago, she specically mentioned not only thre large chain stores, but also online outlets that do sell competing products. That's why try to only buy those things online that I cannot get at the LSS.
Post a Comment