Friday, November 16, 2007

Our Story

Well, five years ago today my husband and I got hitched....so I thought I'd share the story of how we got together to begin with!

The summer between my sophomore and junior years in highschool I was a camp counselor at a little christian camp near Seattle. It was awesome. Anyway, My hubby worked there also but we never really spoke. He's 8 years older than me so obviously we didn't hang out with the same people. Anyway, his only memory of me that summer was when I was crying in the staff lounge because I had a camper in my cabin who actually believed with her whole being that she was nothing without her hip clothes and expensive makeup (she was only 10!!)...so anyway, musta been pms or something, but there I was crying because I just could not get through to this girl and meet her where she was at. And in walks Kevin, he got sufficiently weirded out, made sure there were women there to console me and left. And my only memory of him that summer was "he's the guy who worked nights for ups and really liked to talk about music."

So fast forward....the next summer, just before my senior year, I went back again to counsel. This time around there were hardly any staffers that i knew, and then in walks Kevin...and he says to me "oh hey, how's it going Kristin?" I look at him and say "Kristin is my cousin, I'm Kelli."

He laughs and says "That's what I thought but I didn't want to be an idiot and get your name wrong, so I went with Kristin because I also thought that was right too."

Yeah...smooth. So we hung out a lot because we knew each other, sorta. We passed notes to each other when our campers weren't looking. We sat our cabins next to each other in chapel and in the dining hall. People hated us. Kevin swears it's because all the other guy counselors liked me too, but I doubt it. One weekend when we were headed out to do laundry I asked him to tag along. He did. We laughed and folded our underwear together...yeah, traumatic for a highschool girl....lol. Later that night I looked at him and asked 'Why do you have to be so wonderful?" (Yeah, what a dumbutt....I felt so stupid as soon as the words left my mouth!) His response was more along the lines of I am a lot older than you and I dont want to just casually get involved with you if it isn't going anywhere.

So we dated all through my senior year, he'd visit me once or twice a month. Did I mention we lived 6 hours apart? We talked a lot on the phone, emailed too. Then I moved to his neck of the woods to attend bible college in Portland. I went to Multnomah by the way. The motto at Multnomah for those of you up for a good laugh, "Ring by Spring or your money back!" Multnomah had three main purposes for being: It was a seminary. It "created" missionaries and promoted missions worldwide. And it freely doled out the coveted MRS degrees. I got my ring just before new years eve. The day before new years eve to be exact. My mom told me I was going to get proposed to on new years eve, so just to spite her, Kevin moved his plans up a day so that I would be surprised...lol. Yeah, it was way obvious what was happening.

So that's the story and I'm sticking to it.

2 comments:

All moments remembered said...

HAPPY FIVE YEARS!!!!! Congrats!
Nothing better then being married to someone wonderful!! :)
Hugs,
Stacey

Samantha said...

What a fun story. Congrats on five years of blissful marriage. I'll hit the five year mark in March. Have a great weekend :)